Data confidence codes
To provide more information, Ciqual supplies a Confidence Code for each average value, characterizing the reliability of the aggregated value.
The Confidence Code indicates the relative quality of a value, from A (very reliable value) to D (low reliability).
The confidence code of a compiled value is based on the Quality Indices of the raw data, used in the compilation process. The criteria used to assign quality indices depend on the way data were obtained (analysis or calculation) .
In case of analytical data, the following criteria have been taken into account:
· description of the food and its sampling plan
· number of analyses
· analytical method appropriate for the component
· laboratory performance, accreditation of the laboratory for this method
· quality control in the laboratory
Concerning, data obtained by recipe calculation, criteria are slightly different:
· description of the food
· data sources (food composition tables, suppliers' data, etc.)
· calculation process
· if necessary, consideration of the fabrication process (yields, nutrient losses) in the calculation
· analytical validation of the calculation